Google

Sunday, 3 February 2008

My favorite peak

It really went from omg mouth wide open to lots of dribbles running down at the sight of each new mountain in the Patagonia region for me.

But this *IS* my absolute favorite mountain of them all in this region.

It's name is Cerro Torre. And it is located in the Argentinian side of Patagonia.

As you can see, it looks amazing, with a number of smaller peak on it's right side. Cerre Torre is apparently the most difficult mountain to summit in this region due to it verticle length and the top being completely covered in snow and ice.

Indeed, but I still met a number of climbers on their way out there. They included Bulgarians, Americans and Argentinians.

I went to the base of the Cerro Torre as part of a glacier hiking group. Ont he way to the glacier we had to cross this river belly up.

This was first time hiking on glacier, and it was a neat experience! I also got to try ice climbing (ok so it was only 60 degrees or so) with ice axe and cramp-ons.

Unfortunately our little group only lasted 2 hours on the glacier. I wish it was oh so much longer especially since it took us a good 4 hours just to reach the glacier!!!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

wow... thats amazing. the formation is so unusual. like middle earth