Google

Friday, 18 January 2008

Ushuaia

Today is my last day in Ushuaia. Despite the weather which has been wet and windy, I still had a blast here. I mean, being so far South (1,188 km from Antarctica), what else can you expect but shitty weather?

My only grip with the town is that trying to sell the "Fin del Mundo" or "End of the world" title may get a little dry. Calling itself the Southern most city in the world is more to the point... But I am guessing the "Fin del Mundo" title is an idea from the past (pre 1600's), when this was considered to be the end of the world. It was remote and inhospitable.

Nowadays, I am told the population of Ushuaia is at a healthy 64,000. There is a bit of a construction boom in town, with houses and roads stretching out as far as the flat land allows. I guess it can be a bit of a worry in terms of environmental concern. But hey who am I to judge? The city is still bless with beautiful snow capped mountains, pristine lakes and a beautiful bay.

I would love to return in 25 years time like my Argentinian dorm mate, to see how much this city will change!

No comments: