Google

Tuesday, 15 January 2008

"Fin del Mundo" aka "The end of the world"


If you buy into the hype! Regardless, I am in Ushuaia! A mere 3000 km from Buenos Aires, and it is the Southern most city in the world!

I arrived in Ushuaia at 9pm last night, completely zombied out after a seriously daunting 32 hours of bus ride!

But seriously, God must be looking after me. As I arrived at peak tourist season, at night, without accommodation booked. But I manage to find one hostel with one bed left to crash out. I cannot tell you how happy I felt that everything worked out!

My first impression of this remote place? It is simply breath taking! Looking around me I am surrounded one side by snow capped hills, and the other is the port overlooking the Beagle Channel. This is where Antarctic cruise leave from and it takes 2 days of sailing to get down there. That is, if you have a spare 4500 - 15000 USD! I have already met people at the hostel whom are setting out for a cruise. In fact, I enquired about cruises today, and the 4,500 USD price tag is the discounted price for a 10 days cruise. From the agencies comment books it seems like nobody came away unsatisfied! So anybody wants to donate to me to make this trip? hah!

Ushuaia is also not as small as I thought. It is a pretty well developed place, with lots of tourist shops, restaurants and nightclubs. And today there is a massive cruise ship docked off the pier. Still, it still doesn't rid it of the frontier town feeling, thanks to the surrounding terrain of snow capped mountains and icy sea.

The other cool thing about being so far south is that the daylight goes on forever! When I hit the sack at midnight last night it was still light outside!

I am excited to have made it so far south. As it meant I have bus my way from tip to tip in the entire continent. It is nuts to even think about it but I have done it! :)

No comments: