Google

Friday, 21 September 2007

Quito in one day...

I arrive in Quito from Cuenca this morning. I survive another night bus thanks to my trusty pill - Diazepam. :)
 
Anyway, I check myself into a lovely hostel call "The Secret Garden". It is beautifully decorated and has a beautiful terrace which overlooks Quito´s old town. After dumping my backpack and having a quick shower I took off eagerly to explore the UNESCO old town. But upon walking out the hostel and turning round the first corner, I came across a dead body! It was a shock, but seemed more surreal then scary. This man, who can´t be over 35, was lying face up on the steps of a building, eyes and mouth wide open, and arms and legs splay out. Surrounding him at a fair distance were some locals and 3 policemen. I ask one of them "Esta muerte?" (Is he dead?) and she confirm it. As to why she couldn´t say... It felt so weird as no one bother to cover his body or even his face up.
 
So five minutes later, after walking past more drunks and druggie looking guys, I saw two policemen walking their big black brute of a dog, so I approach them to take a photo. And what do you know, they both got their dogs to stand on their hind legs to pose for me. It was hilarious, these big black brutes, looking so very ugly and mean, and whom could probably eat me up at the slightest provocation, doing circus tricks. LOL!
 
I feel Quito is an edgy city, with it´s "nice" side and it´s "dark" side. Like the druggies and drunks just around the corner. And being warn of the "bad" Colombians and Peruvians whom came here to steal and rob. But you know what? I kinda like it, as it feels like a real city. That it is dodgy and all, I mean which city hasn´t got it´s dodgy areas?
 
But walking around the old city was a wonderful feeling. It felt like walking through certain European city, with streets after streets of beautiful colonial architecture, all pretty much in a good state. There are big plazas with beautiful statues. And I tell you what, Cuenca (the other UNESCO city in Ecuador) cannot compare to Quito´s old city.
 
Later I came across the most beautiful church I have seen so far in South America: The Church of the Society of Jesus of Quito (La Compania), built in 1765 (after 160 years!) the entire interior is covered in gold leaf. Rumours has it that 2 tons of gold were used but my guide reckon it is more like 50 kgs. Still, it did not fail to impress. Everything was shinny and in true Baroque style everything was symmetrical. Right down to the fake stair well which was painted in, to match the real thing beside it! I also love the religious paintings, from the Quito school of art, as they seem more realistic then the Cuzco school of art (where there is a real competition) in Peru. I sat in the church for ages gazing in wonder.
 
Oh and finally, I got to check out Andy Warhol´s exhibition! It was great to see this great artist´s work, even if the explanation and guides were all in Spanish! :)

No comments: