Google

Wednesday, 5 September 2007

Who has the world´s deepest canyon?

I´ve seen many claims in my travels, it usually goes something like we got the biggest cave, the tallest tower, the biggest city, the longest river, the highest lake, and the deepest canyon. I am in Arequipa now, a beautiful town surrounded by 5000-6000 metres mountains and volcanoes, some of them snow capped. Anyway on Sunday I went to visit the Colca Canyon, 160km northwest of Arequipa and touted as the deepest canyon in the world.

I was a little sceptical by that claim as I have visited other canyons which claim to be the deepest (Kali Gandaki Gorge in Nepal and the Tiger Leaping Gorge in China springs to mind). So before visiting it I did a quick Wiki for answers. And guess what? The deepest canyon in the world is located in Tibet, known as the Yarlung Tsangpo Canyon, followed by the Kali Gandaki Gorge in second place!

Still, I was pretty impress by Colca Canyon, as it has snow cap peaks above, and pre-inca steeped terraces down below. All in all the height from top to bottom is at 3,269 metres. And you can see all of it standing on the edge!

The other amazing thing to watch at the Colca Canyon are the Andean Condors, which soars up during the morning following the rising warm air. These amazingly birds with their massive wingspan flew so close to us as they follow the thermals that I reckon they are checking the visitors out as much as us looking on in awe.


No comments: