Google

Monday, 10 September 2007

Pisco after the earthquake...

I visited Ica the other day, one of the places effected by the massive earthquake 2 weeks ago. Ica seem normal to me, with only slight visible damage such as a crack wall here and there.

But the following day I went through Pisco, on my way north to Lima. And the first thing that I encounter were a bunch of kids sticking up a big long wooden stick with half a plastic bottle cut out to collect donations from the passengers. The scene in the city was devastating. Big 4 stories houses crumbled to the floor, debris everywhere, bridge damaged, cracks on road surface and power pylons fallen.

However I can see that people are trying to get their lives back in order. The electricity is up, water is running, public transport are moving about, people have been organize into work groups, collecting debris into one pile, lots of building being repaired and lots more colourful tents sitting outside their properties.

On my bus I was seated beside a man from Pisco, who left with his family to Ica after the earthquake. He show me photos of Pisco on his PDA of the destruction, and as we flick through them a photo of his dead mum was shown. I was pretty shock, as this guy who seem quite relax and happy to talk to me and show me the photos seem to have not just got over the destruction of his house, but also the death of his mother. I guess people here just want to move on and rebuild their lives.

No comments: