Google

Monday, 10 September 2007

Lima´s China Town

I am in Lima now, the capital of Peru. I spent yesterday walking the central, and covered only a little bit of it. Lima is one big spread out city. You need a bus or taxi just to get anywhere.

It is also constantly covered under a thick sea fog between May and November, therefore giving it a real grey and drab look. However Lima is also one happening place, with a population of 7 million there are people everywhere, young and old, shouting their warez, shopping, hanging out, enjoying their weekend...

The highlight for me (as in most cities) was the central market. I love wondering through looking at the shoppers and seeing the warez for sale, especially fresh produce like fruits, veges, meat and seafood. And the lovely seafood!!! Lima is a coastal city like Auckland, so the seafood are very fresh and very cheap. My mouth was watering as I walked outta there...

And guess what was next to the central market? Lima´s massive China town! Yes they call it Bario China here. And the entrance comes complete with a big arch. Donated by the Chinese government back in 1997. According to my guide book back in the 1800´s around 200,000 Chinese from Canton and Fujian province migrated to Lima, and currently there are around 1 million Chinese decedents living in Lima. Incredible aye? So walking through China town I can hear Cantonese being spoken everywhere, and see yummy Chinese food on the windows of the restaurants, such as roast duck, BBQ pork, pastries of every kind and dim sums!

Yes hot yummy dim sum! Within minutes I found myself seated inside "Salon Capon", the biggest and fanciest looking Chinese restaurant in town. Inside they had more waiters then lunchers. And I sat down to order my dim sum. I ate Siew Mai, Har Kao and Chechong-fun. The Har Kao was a real delight, the prawn inside was both huge and super fresh!

Wow! I haven´t had yum char since... KK in Elleslie over 10 weeks ago! So this was pure bliss... I ended up in the restaurant for 2 hours, reading my book, drinking endless cups of tea and eating my 3 dishes. hahahahahah!

No comments: