Google

Saturday, 18 August 2007

Coca Museum


Taken at the Coca Museum in La Paz. In order for the effects to work, you are meant to stuff a shit load of these - coca leaf, into one corner of your mouth, and suck on it. You are also meant to suck on this activator (on my left hand), which then infuse with the leaf and gets the chemical working. Though after trying this for over an hour in the museum I didn't feel much sensation. And believe me, I chew on HEAPS of leaves! Other backpackers claim that their mouth went numb a little and that some felt a little high, but the only sensation I felt was a dryness in my throat and that I wanted to throw up!

What are the effects the locals feel you wonder? It acts as a bit of a hunger supression (which is why this is so popular with the mine workers as they don't take lunch), it helps with altitude sickness and it gives you more energy to work, or makes you think you got more energy to work. I am not sure how adictive this is but a lot of Bolivians chew on Coca leaves, especially those in the countryside.

The museum had a lot of interesting facts. In fact you should read it online at http://www.cocamuseum.com/main.htm

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi hi, hmmm... coca museum. Wouldn't I love to swap places with you right now. I can use some chocolate! =P Well, in all honesty, I'm super jealous. I should be there, too!! Well, you know, after supposed Canada trip. Anyway, don't get too high on the coca leaves... hahaha... you ought to keep your smart for the trip, right? =P Anna