Google

Saturday, 1 December 2007

Climbing Venezuela's Highest Peak

This is Venezuela's highest mountain, Pico Bolivar, at 5,007 metres.

Getting there to take the following photo was no mean feat. I had to dorn on my winter woolies, shades, hiking boots and the rest. Climb on board the world's highest cable car system, and made my way up.

The cable car starts from Merida at an altitude of 1,640 metres, before winding it's way up in 4 stages, to the dizzying height of 4,765 metres!

From there, I tried climbing the rest of the way up, before being stopped by this silly sign along with it's yellow tape, intended to put wanna-be's like me off.

Well they succeeded. I could not go on. I was too tired, too out of breath, too under equipped and lack the stupid thing they call a permit to reach the summit of Venezuela's highest peak! *sniff sniff*


No comments: